Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Settling In

PUBLIC TRANSPORT
After two weeks, my experience here in Poznań, Poland, is beginning to approach a settled routine, though there are new discoveries and new wrinkles on old ones every day.  Having lived in three other European countries for nearly 10 years in the past, I was not concerned about life without a car here in Poznań, and I was correct in expecting no difficulties in that regard.  Public transport here, as in most European cities, is outstanding.  The city system is based on a network of trams that glide throughout the metropolitan area on rails.  Numerous bus routes connect with each other and the many tram lines.  With a good map and a little bit of planning, there is really nowhere I cannot access.   If I need to travel beyond the city and its environs, an excellent train system and comprehensive intercity bus service provide easy access.  A weekly pass for all trams and buses in the greater metropolitan area costs around $10.  Reasonably priced taxis meet any other needs.  


One of Poznan's ubiquitous and efficient trams passes the Zamek (castle).




Buses are well used.  This is my stop near my apartment complex
(the large building visible behind the approaching bus). 
This stop serves three separate bus lines offering easy access to
most parts of the city and to other bus and tram lines.


















It still means I walk a good deal more than I would if I had a car, but the walking is part of the appeal.  Now that the arctic air has given way to temperatures around 30 Fahrenheit, walks of even a kilometer or more are not at all unpleasant.  For example, yesterday during my lunch hour, I walked a kilometer to a bus line that took me in about 15 minutes to the Tesco (extensive shopping center similar to a Super Walmart) on the outskirts of the city.  It was still a half kilometer walk from where I stepped off the bus to the Tesco entrance, but hardly a barrier.  There is slight problem with not having a vehicle on trips like this though.  After shopping for things I needed for my apartment, I had to walk back to the bus stop, then ride it a few stops, and finally walk a kilometer back to my apartment.  Carrying a backpack full of groceries, a shopping bag full of more groceries in one hand and two mops (wet and dry) in my other hand, while slipping through the slushy, partially melted snow, or balancing on a jostling bus, it’s hard to remember I’m a Ph.D., full professor and Fulbright scholar.  It can be humbling, which is not a bad thing. 

REMAINING ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK
The rest of this week holds a number of interesting agenda items.  This week, the Poznań University of Economics will mark its “University Days” with a number of significant events, and I have been invited to participate in several of them.  This evening (Wednesday, February 15), I will attend a special screening of Zelazna Dama (Iron Lady), the film about former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and starring Meryl Streep.  PUE has a special connection with PM Thatcher, who was awarded an honorary doctorate here a number of years ago.  On Thursday evening, I’m invited to a special concert in the College of Music.  On Friday, I will travel by train to Warsaw (a 3-hour trip each way) for an orientation meeting for Fulbright scholars in Poland.  So, it’s an action-packed week. 


Across the street and in the median, another tram passes
in front of the main building of the university's
College of Music.  In this modern building, I will enjoy a special
"University Days" concert Thursday evening.


















As to our research project, I’m using this week to refine elements of the plan such as the focus group protocol and the survey instrument.  Jacek and Martyna are providing valuable insights that are helping shape the project to application with Polish participants.  I’m also starting to prepare Martyna to serve as focus group moderator.


The impressive main entrance to the central building of the Poznań University of Economics.

I hope next week to begin exploring some of the many attractions Poznań has to offer such as a number of promising museums.  As the weather warms,  I also look forward to enjoying its lakes, parks and riverfront.  Thanks for reading, and do widzenia.


No comments:

Post a Comment